Bus Routes & Rules
For further information, please contact Butler’s Bus Service at 603-787-6925. Listed below is a brief statement regarding rules for the transportation of students followed by the bus routes. The daily transportation of the area students is a privilege accorded by the school system and complies with statutory requirements regarding such transportation. To provide maximum safety, each eligible student riding the school bus shall conform to the regulations as established:
1. Not occupy any position that would interfere with the bus driver’s vision.
2. Remain seated at all times when the bus is in motion.
3. Not place bundles, books etc., in the aisles or step well or in front of the emergency door
of the bus. Any parcel a student brings on the bus must fit in their lap and cannot be
higher than the back of the seat facing the student.
4. Follow the same standards of conduct and courtesy that are expected in the classroom
or as prevail for the school system.
(Students must have permission to ride another bus. A “pass” must be given by an authorized
person before a student can ride on another bus.)
Route #1: Bus starts at Pleasant Street at 6;30, on to Bowen Road almost to Newbury/Corinth Town line at 6:35. Turn around and proceed North to the Swamp Road, proceeds to South Ryegate, turns around on Pleasant Street.. Continues back on Swamp Road take a left onto Jefferson Hill Road at 7:03, turn onto Scotch Hollow Road to Crusher Hill Road then to Newbury Center Road and North Road at 7:21 back onto Scotch Hollow, then proceeds to Newbury Elementary School at 7:40 and south on Rte. 5 to Oxbow High School.
Route #2: Bus starts Brock Hill Road/North Road at 7:02 a.m. Proceeds south on North Road turn left on Tucker Mtn Road 7:05, take right onto Tyler Farm Road turn onto Rogers Hill Road, down to the Old Goshen Road turn left back onto Tyler Farm Road. Turn right onto Snake Road at 7:16 to West Newbury Post Office to Moore Hill Road & Peach Brook at 7:20am, take a right onto Peach Brook Rd. then take a left back onto Snake Road continue to the end. Turns left to Rte. 5 and proceeds to Newbury Elementary School, at 7:40 then south on Rte. 5 to Oxbow High School.
Route #3: Bus starts at Conway Trucking in Wells River at 6:38 a.m., proceed south on Route 5 take a right onto Scotch Hollow Road turn right onto Wallace Hill Road at 6:38 proceed to the end take a left onto Route 302 West to Leete’s Farmhouse, turn around continue back down Route 302 East, turn right onto Leighton Hill Road at 7:17. Proceed to end of Leighton Hill take a left onto Scotch Hollow Road take a left onto Perini Road at 7:36, turn around and get back onto Scotch Hollow Road East to Newbury Elementary School, pick up Village Students at Newbury Elementary School at 7:40, then proceeds south on Rte.5 to Oxbow High School.
When weather impacts driving, and there may be delays or closures for our school. We want to get students to school safely, which means that sometimes roads need to be prepared for bus travel.
The process to make the decision for a delay or closure goes like this:
- Our contracted bus company, a private entity, communicates with the town road commissioners about the state of the roads and the time it will take to make the roads safe. Roads may be considered passable but not necessarily safe for bus travel.
- The bus company advises our superintendent on the safety of the roads for bus travel.
- The superintendent makes the decision to delay or close, and sends out a communication to all staff and families. Communication will be through phone, text and email - based on what information families provided our front office. Information is also sent to WCAX, and can be found online.
A few things to consider:
- NES shares bus runs with OHS. These buses pick up students in Bradford, so Bradford roads impact NES buses.
- There can be a real difference in conditions between main roads and back roads, and even between back roads depending on elevation, air temperature, and previous road traffic.
Above all, please remember:
If there's a delay at NES, students cannot be dropped off at school early, even if your road is safe to drive on. There are no available staff on duty to supervise children. Dropping students off early and unsupervised is a safety hazard.